Halfway There

Tuesday, January 30, 2018

I know there are a lot of fancy ways to make name tags these days, but I still get a weird satisfaction in cranking out my kids' names in cursive that I never use otherwise. I guess I'd be a more skilled teacher if I scrawled out those loopy letters on the whiteboard every day, but in reality I'm just happy if my haphazard board print doesn't contain any spelling errors.

I am sort of a lunatic about name tags. I forbid my students from doodling on them or putting stickers on them and I fuss at them if they pick at them.  And should they try to move them from square in the top center of their desk... well, that sort of rebellion will not be tolerated. But even with these high standards, by halfway through the year, name tags must be replaced and tonight was the night.

As I sat here writing my students' names out from memory, I thought about how different it felt than when I made that first set at the beginning of the year. This time, I didn't need a roster; those names are etched into my brain in alphabetical order. This time, they don't need their student number written in the top corner; they know their place in our class (in more ways than one). In August, it was just a list of names. I had to double check the spelling each time and I couldn't even put a face with many of them. Now, each name represents a face I will never forget (even if I do forget the name eventually).

At this halfway point, we're settling into the part of the school year when we truly know each other. I know better how to help them, and they know better how to approach me. I can anticipate what they'll need, and sometimes they take the words right out of my mouth. I know what makes them tick, and, let's be honest, they know how to tick me off. Like those name tags, maybe we've worn each other down a little in the getting to know each other, in both good ways and bad. But now we're comfortable, and we do our best learning when we're comfortable.

We're halfway there! Tell your students and celebrate what you've learned- both academically and about each other. Reflect on where you've been and plan where you're headed. And if a student needs a fresh start, give it to them. Re-write their name on your heart, just like that first week when they had a clean slate. Put them top center on your list and give them the attention they need to be the best they can be. Every single name on that roster is worth it. We've got half a year left together, and the best is yet to come!

Personally, I like things better when the shiny new has worn off.  (Except for name tags. They should always be spotless and perfectly centered. So we'll tape down our new ones carefully tomorrow.)


No comments