Favorites for the First Few Days of Fourth Grade

Friday, August 30, 2024


(Disclaimer: This post includes Amazon Associates links.)

 

Every teacher needs a stash of read aloud books for the beginning of the school year! If nothing else, it buys you fifteen minutes of thoughtless student engagement which is hard to come by those first couple of weeks. More than that, it builds classroom community through the shared experience of a story and the discussion and reflection that follows. 

 

I love a good back-to-school read aloud as much as the next teacher, but I do have one problem. By the time students get to fourth grade, I’m often met with a chorus of “Our teacher read that last year!” when I pull out a book that’s popular in the “back to school read aloud” Google search.  Because of that, I wanted to share four of my favorite picture books to share the first few days of fourth grade! 


 

I’m a country music fanatic and a Bobby Bones Show loyal listener. Many of you are probably tracking with what I just said (although some of you aren’t) but I bet few of you knew Bobby Bones also has a children’s book! Stanley the Dog: The First Day of School by Bobby Bones is funny, endearing and packs an important message about noticing those around us who might need a helping hand, especially as we’re all settling into a new routine and getting used to new surroundings.

 


I promise all my suggestions are not dog books, but I am a sucker for a cute puppy photo, and this next recommendation delivers! As we flipped through this book of POEMS about school written from a puppy perspective, my students cried “aw!!” at every turn of the page. Topics  in Dog-Gone School  by Amy Schmidt includes the basics (reading, writing, math), specials (art, music, P.E.) and even a trip to the principal’s office. Bonus: I don’t think any teacher ever feels like they cover enough poetry, so why not get a head start? 


 

This next one is perfect if you’re like me and you have a situation where many students know each other from previous school years, but a few are new to the group. I teach a gifted class but class size goes up from third to fourth grade so 8-10 students are invited to join an already existing third grade group of students for fourth grade. I’m always nervous about these newcomers feeling welcomed and finding their place, and Room On Our Rock by Kate and Jol Temple is simple but perfect for addressing these issues. The book is designed to be read the regular way, telling a story in which the seals cannot find room to include newcomers on their rock. But then, just when all hope seems lost, you can read the book backwards and suddenly the seals are welcoming and hospitable to their new friends. It’s shocks and delights students every time!



I saved the best for last, as this book truly sums up my philosophy on life and learning. I love The World Needs More Purple People by (celebrities) Kristen Bell & Benjamin Hart not only because purple is my favorite color, but also because it sums up how not everything in this world is “black and white” (or in this case “red” and “blue.”) This book covers life lessons that both children and adults can benefit from about speaking up, asking questions, laughing a lot and most of all being kind and productive members of our classrooms and communities. It’s a must read!

 

Even if the first day (or week) of school has passed, I hope one of these books speaks to your teacher heart on what you’d like to share with your students next. They’ve all served my classroom well.






No comments