Top Five Tips for Using Donors Choose

Tuesday, August 29, 2017
Have you tried using Donors Choose for your classroom?  If not, why not?

I posted my first project way back in 2008.  It was never funded. Back then, I thought all you did was post the project and donations from strangers would flood in. Maybe that's true if you teach in a high priority school or have the most creative project ever, but neither was true for me.

I didn't try again until 2012.  By then, I had learned a lot and Donors Choose had come along way.  My project was fully funded and my love for Donors Choose has only grown since then.  Last week, I had my fifth project fully funded. If you aren't utilizing this resource, you and your students are missing out.


Nothing like a pile of boxes from Amazon arriving on the second day of school, thanks to Donors Choose! :)

Here are my best tips for using Donors Choose:

1.  Don't be afraid to solicit donations. 
Ask the parents of your students directly through letters, e-mail or school social media sites like Class Dojo.  Considering asking the parents of your upcoming students, especially if it's near the end of the school year.  And ask the people in your personal life. You'd be surprised who's willing to give sometimes (old friends, fellow church members, retired teachers, family members, etc.). People really do love to help if they're in a position to do so.

2.  With that said, DON'T ask for donations without a match code.
There is something about knowing Bill Gates (or whoever) is going to match dollar for dollar that makes people want to give.  Write your project, then sit on it until you receive an email that a matching code is being offered (usually for a limited time).  I got SO lucky this last time because I wrote my proposal and two days later the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation was offering a matching code, just in time for Open House.  Sometimes you'll have to wait longer, but it's always worth it.

3.  Ask for resources that regular people understand.
My first project that wasn't funded was for Speed Stacks. If you aren't a teacher, or maybe even a P.E. teacher, you probably have no idea what I'm talking about.  People don't want to fund what they don't understand. So maybe think about ditching the proposal for Bouncy Bands and going for special stools or stress balls instead.  Remember you'll be asking non-teachers for the money so run it by your husband or friend and see if it even makes sense to them.

4.  Team up with your grade level and get more bang for your buck.
My first funded Donors Choose project was for a set of 150 novels so our entire grade level could read the same book. We were asking for a lot, but we had a lot of people to ask since we had six classes of students that year. The more kids the project touches, the more people are willing to give.

5.  Don't be AT ALL afraid of writing the proposal itself.
Seriously, y'all, they make it so easy.  There are prompts and samples and fill-in-the-blanks and magically when you're done, they've turned it into a grant proposal for you.  One of the things I love about Donors Choose is they seriously make it as painless as possible.  They know we don't have a lot of time but that we genuinely want quality resources for our students.  And they want to help!  Let them.

Donors Choose does suggest a 15% donation to their organization when someone gives, but the donor can opt out if they choose. I always encourage people to include this 15% because I've always had excellent customer service, they offer so many matching programs, and again-- they make it so easy!

If you're thinking about trying Donors Choose for the first time, you'll automatically be eligible for a match code called LIFTOFF for the first 7 days your project is live.  That's true for everyone! If you've had a failed project before or only piddled in this, try again!  Don't be afraid to go big!  My project that was funded last week was for TEN Chromebooks and a charging station. Through matching grants and the generosity of people in both my personal life and parents of my sweet students, we funded the $1700+ project in 72 hours!

Here are links to my old Donors Choose projects if you'd like to see examples:
Still Crazy About Chromebooks
Fun Reading For Fourth Graders

If you have a live Donors Choose project or try one after reading this, I'd love to read about it, donate, and/or help you promote it.  Please comment on this post. And if I can do anything to help you get started, let me know!




No comments