Where Are We Going to Find a Llama?

Friday, January 15, 2016

Kids are funny.  Not just a little bit funny- really funny.  There are a lot of ways I’ve developed as an educator in ten years of teaching, but let’s not discount my sense of humor as a major area of growth. Part of it is out of necessity but part of it comes from me.  I love to laugh.  I laugh with my students and sometimes, I laugh at them (if I can get away with doing so without them knowing).

My co-workers and I have often said we should’ve kept a notebook of all the funny hilarious experiences we’ve had over the years with our students.  So many escape me daily.  Retention and sharing of these laughable moments has improved some with the development of texting.  I’m sure my husband loves it when I interrupt his workday with a text retelling something funny that one of my students has said or done.  Often, the humor is lost on him.  But I’m hoping that won’t be the case for all of you.

By Friday night, we’re all in need of a good laugh.  Even if it’s been the worst week ever, there’s nothing we can do now but laugh about it.  In this spirit, I bring you a new staple on the blog: the Friday Night Funny.  Sometimes it may be a story, sometimes it may be a quote, and sometimes, like tonight, it may be a piece of student work. 

One of my favorite writing activities is the Great Eight bundle from The Teacher Studio.  The concept is that students are given eight minutes to write about a given topic.  I use it as practice after mini-lessons on paragraphs, topic sentences, supporting details, conventions, etc. It’s a great way to see what kind of writing a student can produce given a little freedom and a deadline. 


This week’s Great Eight topic was “pets.” I told students they could take it from there—they could write about types of pets, reasons to get a pet, their own pet, etc.  This particular student chose to write about his favorite house pet (a dog) and his favorite farm animal (a llama).  I wish I had thought to take a picture before I marked it up but it’s still pretty cute.  For some reason, his ending made me laugh out loud and I’m hoping it’ll do the same for you.  We shared in class today and he was so cute and expressive reading it out loud that I wish I could show you a video clip, but for the Friday Night Funny, this transcript will have to do.  Enjoy and have a great weekend!




No comments